Friday, March 23, 2007

When the urge hits, or creeps up on you...

Whever the urge to use or drink springs up on me, I have to step back, relax, say a prayer, and make sure I get to a meeting as soon as possible. Earlier in my sobriety it was crucial to get in touch with my sponsor as soon as possible, but now, 3 years out, getting to a meeting works perfectly for me. Having a sponsor for the first year or two is so important - to have someone to fall back on, or to hold you up while we are in a state of weakness. It's OK because they expect and want you to call them for support. It helps not only you, but them also.

2 comments:

Glenn D. said...

You can't just 'blow' the urge off, or it will fester and grow in the back of your mind. You have to deal with it right at that moment. Letting it get a foothold, by letting it go unattended, will only leave you that much more susceptable to a relapse in one form or another. Nip it in the bud, or pay the consequences sooner or later.
Talk to your sponsor, go to a meeting, call a helpline, get in touch with a recovery friend - do something!

Glenn D. said...

My last time an urge hit me was during, and especially after, a very difficult and extremely stressful day at work. I want nothing more than to take the edge off my very frazzled nerves and extremely overloaded mind with alcohol and/or a hit or two of any drug. It just so happened that it all fell on a day that my regular home AA group met at a local church. I was safe, and saved, by caring, understanding friends who EXACTLY what I was going through. Having sympathetic and empathetic friends and fellow recoverees always helps.

Google
12 Step Sites Active member at zimbio.com Link Exchange - We HIGHLY recommend this easy to use link exchange tool. link exchange and webmaster tools InfoWizards link exchange and webmaster tools is a great resource where webmasters exchange links and find useful tools and information to help their web development efforts.
Google
Addiction Recovery Tools | Alcoholism and Drugs - Resources and tools for managing your life after treatment for drug or alcohol addiction
Addiction Recovery Tools | Alcoholism and Drugs - Resources and tools for managing your life after treatment for drug or alcohol addiction AddMe - Search Engine Optimization
Vitamin Shop | Body Care | Women's Health | discount tanning lotions | Cybergenics Quicktrim
Want Your Link Here?